Followers

Friday 1 November 2019

DFI Session 7 Computational Thinking

Pedagogy and Kaupapa

Today Dorothy emphasised the pedagogy and kaupapa behind digital technologies. Chromes are not JUST a tool. It has an impact on their whole life including their health, finances and housing. We should use digital technology to change our student's lives. 
It's not just a tool presentation. We are empowering families. 


TEACHING NEW ZEALAND'S FUTURE INVENTORS


OMG Tech  Awesome Lesson Plans for Digital Technology

OMGTech! Trailblazers Presentation

Hour of code

What stood out for me in today's' presentation is my understanding of Digital Technologies. It does not only include inquiry and communication. The part that I neglect is the construction and expression part. I am looking forward to using what I learned today, in my class next year.
We had a go at simple coding on Hour of Code and Scratch. I found Scratch a bit tricky realising that I have not been exposed to coding too much. (Suppose that is why I never became a programmer).  We had a go at creating a simple circuit. This is one of the lessons that are on the OMG Tech website. Even as adults we were engaged, just imagine using it in our classes. 


After today's session, I feel inspired to teach digital technology in my class. I should plan carefully for it during the holidays so that I am well prepared and have all the resources I need. Thank you OMG Tech for sharing your lesson plans to us for free. This makes our life so much easier.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, Digital technologies is MORE than coding. It is about thinking. It is about problem solving. It is about creating digital outcomes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alida - I too am keen to learn more about this part of our curriculum in order to give my students the best opportunities to learn about computational thinking. Great to see you got away from the zombie's using your zombie light.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.