Followers

Monday 15 July 2019

TAI Reflection - Finalising Group 1 ALL

After discussions with my principal, we decided to end my current ALL group and start a new one in term 3 as ALL was intended to be short term intervention.

The progress made was measured with an e-asttle test done on the last day of term 2. The results were as followed:

Student AN4Shifted from 1B to 1A (lots of absenteeism and writing on last day of term)
Student BO4Absent but huge shifts in writing and confidence.
Student CK3Shifted from 1B to 2B
Student DL4Left school
Student EA4Stayed the same. (Chrome broken, wrote on paper)
Student FC4Shifted from 2A to 3B

ALL intervention works.  More for some students than others. But it will take a long term intervention to undo 3 or 4 years of backlog in their learning. So I am happy with the shifts that have taken place and I am hoping that these students will take what they have learned, and apply it in their writing in class. 

Term 1 and 2 has been a huge learning curve for me with regards to my understanding of ALL and what my focus should be. I'm hoping to have a quicker start with my second group, and be more organized in what I want to teach as I have now got a clearer understanding of what teaching accelerated writing entails. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Alida, awesome that most of the students made a positive shift in their writing whether it be just confidence or written progress. Next time it would be nice if any of the resources you used could be shared with the teachers so that we could try and use them in the classroom as well and we could have meeting about how they are used (e.g. the checklist you developed with the students, I can see it but there are parts of it I don't understand). I was put off using Seesaw in class because this feels like another thing on top of using blogger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback Karli, this is very helpful. How often do you think should I meet with the teachers to be helpful but not taking up too much of their time?

      Delete
    2. Well done Alida. The work you have done with the boys has been invaluable. As Karli said the change in their attitude about their own success have been palpable. My students have gained confidence across the curriculum, as the writing and reading has improved their ability to engage more often.

      I think a fortnightly/monthly meeting would be beneficial, and it could actually be focused on how to plan for the next few weeks. I think that seeing the resources you have used would be awesome, but also aligning the topics and vocab more closely would be beneficial.

      Thanks so much for your hard work.

      Delete
    3. (I meant planning writing for all the teachers involved- not just you, FYI.)

      Delete
    4. Awesome, thank you Sally. That sounds like a great plan. Will take that on board for my second group. Would love to hear the boys success stories as they go through the year. And please don't hesitate to shout if there is anything I can help with.

      Delete

Please leave a comment.