Followers

Friday 12 October 2018

Science PD - CBD 1 Oct - Planning

During our Call Back Day we focussed on Science being all around us, even in things we take for granted.
We should be starting to make a shift from being just consumers to planning and thinking of the cross cutting functions which is important.
I decided to follow the lead of my students when they got excited about a birds nest. After feedback from Susan, I realised that my initial LTP was too little detail, and I was trying to squash too much info in one lesson.
Initially my co-teacher and I set aside 1 lesson for each of us in our timetable for science. But Susan suggested that I rather have shorter experiences, throughout the week. This is quite challenging for me to try and fit it in, but I hoping that the changes I have made to our timetable, will provide those opportunities and engage the students,

E.g. My plan that I had for week 1 in 1 lesson, Susan broke down into 3 parts.
This was my initial LTP
This is my new lesson plan, as suggested by Susan.

Next steps:
* Get the hang of planning in detail in order to strengthen my understanding
* Make a mental shift that science should be revisited and can be done more than once a day or week
* Research and find as many as possible hands-on examples to engage students
* Focus on the Big Idea : CHANGE
* Be very deliberate about making the connections to the five facets in each of the experiences
 focus on how learning and experiencing things changes how we understand the world and ourselves
x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.