Followers

Thursday 8 February 2024

PLD

When I started at my new school this year, I was introduced to the PLD Literacy Programme. When I received all the books it was quite overwhelming. I teach kindergarten and pre-primary and I didn't know where to fit everything into my daily routine. Even though it is already week 2, I decided it will be better for me to slow down, and develop a better understanding of what I need to do to use the programme successfully. Especially as there are very clear assessments dates in the middle and end of each term. So where to start?

A snapshot background: 

The programme was developed by Diana Riggs's and provides an Australian, evidence-based approach to Structured Synthetic Phonics (SSP) for primary school educators.

PLD's methodology focussed on 3 key aspects: 

* Literacy

* Oral Language and

* Movement and Motor

International research conducted indicated that the PLD Literacy Programme provides an Australian, evidence-based approach to Structured Synthetic Phonics (SSP) for primary school educators. 

 What does that look like in class?

I watched the Term 1 Foundation Teaching Tips video.  It gives me a clear guideline as to how to implement the flip books during mat time. 

* Flip Book 1 focussing on alphabet knowledge and letter formation. 

* Flip Book 2 focussing on blending 3 phonemes, and lastly, 

* Flip Book 3 focussing on segmentation. 

The books have clear instructions and visuals to support me in what I need to do. 

So my first step in getting better in my teaching of this programme is to use the flip books correctly, share information with my EA's so that they have a good understanding of what to do too. I'm hoping to have this smoothed out by the end of week 3. 

There are still lots to learn, and I have requested training, but time cannot be wasted. Luckily we have already started with the cutting skills and pre handwriting skills. I am sure by the end of the year it will all have come together. 

Here is a link to the PLD website if anybody was interested in learning a bit more about the programme.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.