Followers

Tuesday 7 March 2023

Big Book update

Term 2: 

It is now nearly the end of term 2, and I am very happy with the progress the students are making in their writing. They are now able to write a recount of the big books independently (at least most students). 

What I am excited about is the language structures that is coming through. See the examples below. Please note, my focus at this stage is not on spelling or punctuation. It is just to develop their confidence in writing, creating a space where they can share their ideas without judgement. 

I have also noticed how their fluency in reading as improved. Students are now recognising bold print, speech marks, exclamation marks and ellipses. They change their voice tone and volume to suit the text. 

I have also noticed that some students prefer to read the big book when sharing reading on Seesaw, instead of a colour wheel book. My hunch is that it is because the students feel super successful when they are able to read it so beautifully. I will continue with the big books till the end of the year, just building on it. My students are currently learning how to sound words out and underline it, then afterwards searching up the correct spelling using their chromebooks. 

Seesaw example



Term 1:

I completed my first week of using a Big Book during writing time - even though my colleague is not here to reflect on it with me, I thought I'd share my observations this week. 

We read the book every day, each day focussing on one aspect.

Day on1 Comprehension

Day 2 Vocab

Day 3 Flow/Phrasing/Fluency

Day 4 Phonic Knowledge, Phonemic awareness and word study

Day 5 Respond to text

We built a word wall that we are referring to and brainstormed before writing. Students planned through drawing and then wrote independently. What was really interesting is that each story was so different. What stood out for me though is the jump in the vocabulary used. I even had compound and complex sentences. So proud of these students. This is obviously only the start of their journey, but I'm looking forward to seeing how they grow. 






So using the Big Book will stay in my writing sessions. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.