Followers

Monday 1 March 2021

Digital Development Green Screening

 So I gave creating a digital Pepeha through Greenscreening a go. It was much harder than I anticipated. The challenge was not as much the digital, but more the Pepeha. 

Here are some of the videos we made.



Challenges I faced.
We were limited to time due to the rotation we have in our studio and because of COVID lockdown interruptions. What I realised was that it was a bit unfair to expect students to learn their pepeha and learn how to Green Screen at the same time. Some students didn't even want to try while reading their pepeha as they said they couldn't read it. Problem-solving or debugging was a major issue. There was no time to take them through possible solutions. 

So what am I going to do differently with my second group. 
I am going to start introducing Greenscreen from session 1, but use an easy topic such as talk about our favourite animal. Then send the pepeha home and creating space in class time for students to learn their pepeha. And then by session 3 start their Greenscren pepeha, which will give them enough time to trial and error. 



3 comments:

  1. Kia ora Alida. It's great that you are persevering with this and have the opportunity to reflect and change how you will do this with your next round of students. The debugging part is such an integral part of the learning (and the most frustrating). It's good to see you recognise the value of making time to give the students opportunities to work through these challenges

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think that this is so valuable. The kids will gain confidence from speaking in front of a camera. I think pepeha is such a special part of Maori and NZ culture and for the kids to have the chance to learn about theirs at primary is a great asset.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Alida, I am keeping an eye on your blog to follow this work you are doing re green screening. I am keen to understand how you teach students this aspect and look forward to learning more in your upcoming blog posts.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.