Followers

Wednesday 17 February 2021

Digital Development

One of my focusses this year is to upskill on my own knowledge of digital activities in the classroom, based on our Learn Create Share model. One of the first challenges I took on was how to create a green screen video. Although there is an app on the iPads, it took a bit of research and trial error to get it right. Thank you, Justine, for your support being a model etc, while I was trying and testing. 

I'm hoping to support our students in creating their own digital Pepeha during term 1. My possible challenges are: 

1. Students not having the information they need to create a Pepeha

2. Students that don't want to do it because they are not Te Reo speakers.

3. We only have a short time to create the Pepeha, and it does take a bit of time. So students will need to know what to do as soon as possible so that they don't waste time waiting for me to show them what to do. 

How am I going to approach this?

Now that I have created my own, and know exactly what to do, I believe the students will be able to follow my modelling and instructions quickly. Parents have already been notified that we will be doing a Pepeha, and a letter will be going home as soon as we are back at school to gather the needed information. If any students show hesitation on doing a Pepeha, I will bring the topic up in circle time and discuss how we can be culturally responsive to each other. 

Here is my example video. Please note, my focus was on how to a green screen, not on my Pepeha. So please forgive me if it is not done correctly. 





5 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks so cool to have your pepeha images in the background with you saying your pepeha! What an amazing way of bringing together cultural connections, te reo and learn, create, share using a digital platform. I wonder if there is a school pepeha - the maunga, awa, moana that is associated with this school that the kids could borrow if necessary. Also Junior Journal 53 has a great explanation and template and is available as a pdf. I'm really excited to see what the kids learn, create and share. I think this will be something they can be really proud of and such a positive way to start the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaa thank you for the advice Simon, that is very helpful, never thought of a school Pepeha. I will have to investigate and ask around to gather that information.

      Delete
  2. Great to see you taking risks with this Alida. I know there is a lot of learning in this for you in both the Te Ao Maori space as well as the digital space but what powerful learning it will be at the end. My advice is don't rush it. Give yourself and your learners permission to take your time with this. If it takes longer than you anticipated that's fine. It's valuable learning and when students are given time to explore and create this is where valuable learning takes place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's true. WIll do, thank you Michelle.

      Delete
  3. Kia ora Alida, that's really lovely. You look like your mum :)
    Could you explain for your readers how you created the green screen that enabled you to have your images behind you?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.