Followers

Friday 10 May 2019

TAI - ALL Boys as Reluctant Writers Follow-up

What is our goal with ALLat PES? What have I identified as good practice? What now?

At the start of my inquiry, I thought that teaching students how to use a dictionary, or teaching them to check their SC at the end of their writing would help students to create better writing samples. (This is still important, but not the shift in practice that will develop good writers). However, as I have been working with the boys, I have made many shifts in my thoughts.

First: What is our goal with ALL at PES? Yes, we want to help these boys to accelerate in their literacy learning, but if they leave school, they take it with them. If I leave, I take my knowledge with me.  Am I working in a single pocket? NO! I have to look at the bigger picture. This inquiry is not just about my learning and what I can do to assist children. It's about how I can change the way writing is presented at PES. How can I support teachers so that they know what to do when they have reluctant writers, across the board. How can I influence decisions around teaching writing in our school so that senior management supports me?
Therefore it's time to have meetings with staff. Not a once off, tick of a box, kind of meeting. It doesn't have to be long, but it needs to be consistent every two weeks. Checking in, and supporting teachers by focussing on what they are doing well, encouraging, enthusiastically, through examples and modeling on what they can do. Teachers then need to try it, and feedback on it. This is very important because often we have meetings, we present ideas, and then there is no accountability to give it a go.

What is the main thing that stood out for me in my inquiry that will signal good practice? Teaching PES students at the right level. Not too low, not too high.
Are teachers' expectations of what the students can do on the right level? E.g. if a child is writing at level 1, are they trying to fill the gaps in level 1, which keeps them working only in level 1.  Are they beating a dead horse for ten weeks by teaching the same thing over and over? Or are they teaching a little higher than where the child is in order to make a weekly shift?
Are they engaging students in interesting ways using variations in resources, or is everything kind of going on the same pattern every week?

I would like to investigate these two questions, getting teachers, management's, and students voice.

2 comments:

  1. This is good thinking Alida. I was checking through my oral language activities the other day that you suggested I use for some of my boys and thinking- damn, I dropped the ball in week 1 & 2. I was thinking too- where to next with this? Checking in with others is a great way to decide next steps as we all have knowledge to share.

    I'v noticed the engagement this writing 'episode' was much better because the boys really enjoyed making a brainstorm with different people- not their usual crew or approach. But still the POWER model so they know how to progress independently.

    They are being empowered by working with you and mixing things up a bit is helping. I'll share with you the boys writing they did without help after the initial plan. I think you'll be impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sally, appreciate your support and enthusiasm. I get excited when you start talking to me about the shifts you notice in their writing. Looking forward to great results as we go.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.