Followers

Tuesday 26 June 2018

Science - Bubbles

Yesterday we did part two of our bubble experience. We only had 11 students at school and Rhys and I split it so that we both got the opportunity to teach. It worked really well with the smaller groups.

My lesson didn't flow as I wanted it to as I had to refer back to the lesson plan all the time. However, in doing that, I managed to ask the right questions and we managed to discuss some of the key vocabulary e.g. cluster, floating, detergent, air, what do we call moving air etc.

At some point I stood back and kept quiet to observe, the children were "playing" with the bubbles, but they were discovering new ways of making them e.g. instead of blowing they started running with the wand and more bubbles formed.

When we moved back to class to write our observations in our journal, it was interesting to see what stood out for each child.


While doing writing and drawing in our journals, everybody participated in the discussions, we looked at some of the video and photos they added to Seesaw. The children were excited about seeing themselves on the big screen. 

As a final activity, we drew the bubbles on seesaw, especially to get the colours that they observed. 

So what: 
Some of the children in my class, were using a close eye by observing the little drop at the bottom of the bubble, however, most of the children were too excited about the bubbles to slow down and observe. How do I slow them down? I want them to spend time to observe, but if one starts running around, the others follow. 

Vocabulary that we used at previous experiences came through e.g. transparent and liquid. 

I need to think of a way to prepare better. Perhaps doing the experiment (no matter how simple) before the time and talking it through either by myself or with a colleague will help me retain some of the vocab. so that I don't have to refer back to the lesson plan as much. 

What next: 
I want to print photos of yesterday and revisit by adding labels. This will serve as visual prompts during writing. 
We will do a brief revisit of the lesson by looking at the videos and photos in order to help the students that were absent to catch up. 
Do part 3 of the bubble experiment as soon as possible. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.