Followers

Sunday 27 May 2018

Te Reo in Room 1

I am trying to find ways to incorporate Te Reo in my classroom. 

Last year I had a strong routine of starting the day with a Karakia and starting the day with simple Te Reo songs e.g. how we greet, counting and naming the colours in Te reo. 

This year, I am finding it a bit trickier as I only start my day after morning tea in room1. What I managed to do this year, which I didn't last year, is to sing Te Aroha at the end of the day. Which is like a karakia at the end of the day. See meaning of words below. 

Te aroha
Traditional Song

(Maori)


Te aroha 
Te whakapono 
Te rangimarie 
Tätou, tätou e.

(English)

Love,
Hope,*
Peace,
For us all.

In preparation to Matariki festival I am teaching my students a song called  Tu Tere mai, using Te Rakau Sticks. 

Originally Tī rākau helped warriors to practise hand-eye coordination at speed. Therefore, this could be very helpful in developing the students hand-eye coordination for writing. 

So What?
I want to build up my knowledge of Te Reo language and use it on a daily basis. I have managed to pick up some words/phrases, but by far not enough. 

Perhaps I could learn with my students more through songs and games. 

Create a visible prompt list that I can use in the class.

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Alida, thanks for sharing your ideas about using more Te Reo in your class. We have some resources in our cluster that could help you. For example, you could connect with the teachers at Kereru Park Campus. Here is the link to some of their sites: https://sites.google.com/kootuitui.org.nz/kootuituikipapakuraeducation/class-sites

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.