Followers

Saturday 28 April 2018

Teaching as Inquiry

My Hunch: 
Most of my students are now ready to learn. 

I base my hunch on the following:
It has taken my class a while to settle in and get use to two teachers and room 1 routines.  What I have noticed, is that many of my children are scared of failure, and therefore prefer not to try activities or have huge behaviour reactions the moment they feel forced to do something that they feel is too hard. Some of them, hover at the outskirts of the class, not participating, until they have gained the courage to try things out. Or even worse, they disappear from the class. Some of them don't return for the rest of the day. My thoughts are that this is learned behaviour out of fear of failure. So how do I eliminate this fear?  How can I accelerate this specific group of children with learning needs? How do I get them to take risks?

My inquiry is: How can I cater for these pre-literate academic group while accelerating their learning. 

Where to start: 
* Lightning the Literacy Fire by Jill Eggleton
* Literacy Lessons for individuals by Mary Clay
* Effective Literacy Practice
* Helping children take good risks by Nancy Eppler-Wolff and Susan Davis, clinical psychologists
* READING AND RISK TAKING:THE TEACHER'S ROLE by Arleen Michael



1 comment:

  1. Alida great to read your learning journey and to hear about your inquiry today. You have shown patience to learn your students many ways of coping with their school day. Awesome that you have had readings and your Reading Recovering to set your students into a safe zone for learning.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.