Followers

Thursday 25 January 2018

PD Understanding Behaviour - Responding Safely 25/01/2018

A big question that always creates a bit of anxiety for me is, when do we restrain a child with extreme behaviour. I found today's PD around this topic interesting and bringing knowledge on this topic to the forefront of my mind. This reminded me that staying calm and not over reacting is crucial. 

What stood out for me during this session:

Triggers such as not knowing what to do or not having the vocabulary to explain how I feel can be triggers. Things like not taking regular medication e.g. Ritalin. Things that happened at home or even something small like being late for school.
If we know the triggers, we can de-escalate them before it triggers behaviour.

Create a class culture of support. So if a child is sent to Sefa to help them cope with behaviour, have a discussion with my class on how it is not a special treat, but help. How can we as a class help in situations such as that.

PB4L : How can I use my words to ask for help?

Take note: Time constraints increase anxiety levels. Take the pressure off.  Respond on triggers early to avoid out of control. There is very little you can do if children get out of control.

So what?
* Avoid restraining as far as possible.
* Only restrain if a child's life is in danger or if he is going to hurt others.
* Eliminate triggers as soon as possible.
* Stay calm, breath, call for help in extreme cases.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.