Followers

Sunday 10 March 2019

ALL - Progress with my teaching as inquiry

Where am I now with my inquiry? 

I have completed my scanning phase of my inquiry. I've collected data from last year, collected student, parent and teacher voice. I've looked at absenteeism, and observed behaviour in the classroom.
I have identified 6 boys that are reluctant writers. They depend a lot on their teachers as well as peers in the class. Although they were doing what was expected, it was on a very low level (kind of the bare minimum). They could not verbalise why they were doing it e.g. why did they highlight ideas that go together.  They struggled to say what good writing looks like. They all knew that if they get stuck they should ask 3 before me (the teacher), however, they did not really know who the "experts" in their class were.


My developing hunches are:
* Chromebooks for writing has an affect on their writing i.e. writing e-asttle with pen and paper rather than chrome, might cause  a lower result.
* Exemplars to show what good writing at year level should look like, is not
readily available, and perhaps students need to see the difference between
a year 1 and 6 level of word (unpacking the difference)
* How much student voice is seeked in the classroom and across the school on topics of the students interest?
* De constructing the planning stage with students. Do they understand why they plan, and how to plan by themselves?
* LI/SC - co constructed with the students to gain agency over their learning. And do they know how to check their own work against these SC?
* What are we, as teachers, doing in the pre-writing stage before we start planning for writing? How do we unpack the topics with our student?
* Are we focussing too much on non-fiction writing, which involves a lot of new facts for information writing?

Taking Action

  • Know your learners - what are their interests?  What do they like to write about?
  • Negotiables - chrome book, paper & pen, postiks & pen.  What can children do with chrome to create pieces of writing? Balance around how this might work with other paper activities.
  • Unpack the writing process.
  • Identified with students if writing done on chrome is really better than writing done on paper. Obtain writing samples - one on paper - one on chrome- on topics of their choice, compare and unpack.
  • Unpack planning - why do we plan, different ways of planning - add as much detail than I can (without the support of a teacher or buddy) - look at finding information with tools that are available, e.g. books, posters, Google etc
  • Unpack, what can I change in my writing to make it better - personalized checklist



I will look into Boys as Reluctant writers, I'm aware that one of the classes already use Game of Awesome as encouragement for writing. Therefore my research will be more into why are they reluctant, and what can we change in the classroom and school to get them excited.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alida! Thanks for sharing your post with me. The concept of gamification is definitely something to look into! Another amazing writing person to think about is Jeff Anderson (Mechanically Inclined. Everyday Editing. Patterns of Power). He's a bit of a guru on Writing. Also, I'm going to use this resource for my Inquiry. https://www.ttms.org/PDFs/11%20Read%20Like%20a%20Reader-Writer%20v001%20(Full).pdf . Let's get together to discuss it. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.