Followers

Saturday 7 March 2020

Why did I become a teacher?

This is the start of my journey to reinvestigate as to why I became a teacher. I could say it was because I wanted to work with kids, but although this might have some truth, it can't really be my why, because I could have then become a pediatrician, or a speech therapist. It's not for the salary, as we all know teachers salary is not great. It's not for the holidays, because most holidays I sit and prepare and plan for the next term. What is my WHY?

I don't know what drove me to become a teacher, but I'm hoping to backtrack my life as a teacher and find the point where I decided this is what I wanted to do. 
What is motivating me to go back to school every day, regardless of students being rude, despite me being tired and working long hours to prepare, despite my budget never working out...

This video brought tears to my eyes...why? Because it took one teacher to see the potential in a child, that other teachers deemed as naughty. This teacher gave this little boy a purpose to live and pointed him in a direction that made him famous. 

Is this my why? I don't know why this video touched my heartstrings, all I know is that I have always said that I want to mean something to somebody. 

Is this enough reason to be a teacher? My search will continue as I think it's a lot more complicated as that. I think there are many things in your life that contribute to the decisions you make. And just to say you like working with kids, does not seem to be a good enough reason. 

Enjoy the video.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.